Monday, March 17, 2014

Wisconsin Donut Organization Member Profile

Mattias has been a donut shop owner and WDO member since 2012. The donut shop he owns came to him through a neighbor's generosity, and fulfilled a lifelong dream. "I've loved donuts since I was a kid," says Mattias, "but the poverty that came with college and graduate school kept donut shops comfortably out of reach. I could afford the occasional copy of Donut magazine (ideally with a new cruller on the cover), but that was it. Then I befriended (then-girlfriend, now-wife) Sarah's neighbors, Roger and Mary. Roger had a Dunkin franchise and 80-year-old knees, and had realized that the latter were starting to keep him from enjoying the former. So, he was selling the franchise. The asking price: $3500. Still about $3500 more than I could afford, sadly. But, Roger wasn't very patient. After a few months of trying to sell, the franchise was still in the garage, and Roger was formulating a different plan. I had moved to Milwaukee by that time, but Roger approached Sarah about giving us the franchise. Several discussions weighing the dangers of trans fats versus the awesomeness of donuts later, and the shop was ours. Ultimately, it would take another six months to get it (and Sarah) to Milwaukee, but both have been here for a little over a year now, and my life is complete. It turns out, owning your own donut shop is just as great as I suspected it was," says Mattias. "Now I just have to convince Sarah that they're even better in sets."
-MLJ


PS->An amazing thing happened to me last Friday. Someone kind and generous approached me to VOLUNTEER to buy donuts. That awesome someone? Dr. Jane Witten. It’s clear that her giving heart knows no bounds. She’s also a great scientist, and did a postdoc in Washington state, which makes her even cooler. Thanks, Dr. Witten!

No comments: